Saturday, September 02, 2006

On the Town

For the first time in a long time, Shelley and I went out for some shopping, movie and supper.

I stopped in at the new New Balance store in London, turns out finding shoes for size 7½, 4E width, is difficult even for a specialty store. And I didn't feel like waiting 2 weeks for my size to arrive and spend $160 for a running shoe (well, two of them, actually)....

We did manage to find Tegan & Sara's "So Jealous" so we can legally own the music that I borrowed from the Lambton County Libraries.

Despite Jeffy's movie recommendation of An Inconvenient Truth, also endorsed by some of Shelley's blog sources, we opted for something more darkly light-hearted. Little Miss Sunshine turned out to be a quirky, yet accessible, movie that was a superior family road trip to any of the National Lampoons vacations.

It carries a cinematic undertone of Blind Melon's "No Rain" video, although that could just be my resonance with Olive's character. There is a small dose of Weekend at Bernie's kitsch with an appreciable touch of resurrection at the end. Despite its predictability, the running gag throughout the movie never failed to amuse me. The grand finale dance scene outstrips that of Napoleon Dynamite.

Highly recommended; although keep in mind I haven't seen a movie in a theatre in ages...

As for supper at Jack Astor's? It was "nice".

No comments: