Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Señor Pastor

I was speaking with an earnest, newly-graduated student who’s working as a youth minister. He confided that his great hope is that one day he could be a Senior Pastor. I’m not surprised that there is a hierarchy placed on the status of pastors (Associate, Youth, Assistant?, Senior – I’m not sure what the ranking is, only that Senior is where it’s at). Mind you, many people here come from churches that have membership in the thousands and large staff teams.

When people asked me if I was the Youth Pastor of my church, my response had been, “Uhm… I’m the Only Pastor at my churches.” My new American friends are encouraging me to play up the fact that by virtue of my situation, I am the Senior Pastor.

I don’t know what I’ll do with all the new-found respect and deference that will come flooding my way now.

No comments: