Thursday, November 29, 2007

Unsolicited

It seemed to be the day for people trying to sell me things at work today. Even before I got out of the car, there was a representative for ChurchWares shaking my hand and seeking to fulfill all our candle and vestment needs.

After filing the accumulated church-related junk mail, I fielded a phone call from a photo directory company. Apparently, saying "we have your contact information; if we decide to proceed, we'll contact you" wasn't enough and so a follow-up call is to be expected in March.

The phone rang again near the end of office hours. Not expecting phone solicitors, I was too long to hang up the phone after the momentary silence of the computerized auto-dialer for MNBA. I had to interrupt someone's spiel about some kind of financial services offered to us so that I could hang up.

One of my clergy colleagues from across the street happened to be there and commented that it's no wonder people are so suspicious when we show up at their door or call on the phone. Because, really, all we're doing is selling them back their soul.

No comments: