Sunday, March 12, 2006

Bored of the Sith

I should add that last night Shelley and I endured Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith. (It's been a little bit of movie catch-up lately).

Yes, the third was the best of the abysmal prequel trilogy, which doesn't say a lot considering the blight that is JarJar Binks or the wooden "chemistry" between Padme and Anakin. Maybe it was our energy level, or lack thereof, but watching the movie was a chore, a struggle to stay awake (which Shelley abandoned with 38 minutes left to go).

Yes, the effects were marvelous, the battle scenes thrilling, but it got a bit rote after the umpteenth time. The turning of Anakin to the Dark Side was anticlimactic, the political intrigue was not, and the warmth and depth of the love relationship was cold and buried. I did, however, appreciate the juxtaposition of new life/resurrection and death as Vader mechanized and Padme slipped away.

If Jeffy wants me to give it a rating, I'd say 2½ stars out of 5. At least I didn't pay any money to see it.

No comments: