Friday, March 10, 2006

Half-full Goblet of Fire

Tonight, Shelley and I finally had time to watch Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

While I enjoyed the movie, pleased to see the franchise continue in the darker tone set by "The Prisoner of Azkaban", the nitpicker in me resisted all the artistic liberties taken with the story. Granted, a 2½+ hour adaptation cannot do justice to 750+ pages, what I wanted to see mostly didn't transpire.

As is my tendency, I am quick to find the negative: the Quidditch World Cup was cut short, omitting the Weasley twins gambling plot; SPEW didn't exist; Rita Skeeter was barely introduced; Malfoy reduced to a tertiary character; Dumbledore was over the top, losing his cool far too often; and Snape was uncharacteristically benign.

Although I will concede that computer-generated graphics were best spent on the dragons (instead of house elves or even Quidditch) and the choices that were made regarding plotlines still offered a tightly woven spell of wonder and whimsy. Despite my griping, I would say it's one of the stronger movies of the series thus far and I can't wait for #6 (yeah, book #5 didn't really do it for me...).

No comments: