Monday, February 26, 2007

Not a Fan of the Dramatic Arts

This afternoon at Monday School, I attempted to relate the Bible lesson through the eyes of Abram. I prefaced the story asking the kids to use their imagination and pretend that I wasn't me. Such a notion filled Rei with distress and dismay as she clung tightly and mournfully cried, "I don't want you to be someone else, I want you to be my daddy!"

In other resistance to drama, I had a Palm Sunday idea of an episode of Dora the Explorer: Dora and friends could be trying to get Jesus to Jerusalem. After consulting with Map, they learn: first, they have to go through the Village (where they find a donkey to ride on); then across the Icky-Sticky Mud (where they lay coats over the mucky road to make it passable); that's how they get to Jerusalem.

Come on, vamanos, everybody let's go ...
Where are we going? Jerusalem! ...
Je-ru-sa-lem!

Once they arrive, they'll have a party with palm branches, singing and dancing.

We did it, we did it, we did it,
Hurray!
Hosanna! ...

Upon broaching the topic with the kids, the idea was soundly rejected. "No! Not Dora, anything but Dora! Or Barney! Or Teletubbies!" So it appears that Dora will not be exploring in Arkona this Palm Sunday; but if anyone out there has opportunity or inclination to use this idea, be my guest.

No comments: