Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Driven to Desperation

The past few days Kai has been sleeping like a baby: waking himself up after 30 minutes, alternating between cooing and cranking (requiring us to hold him, walk with him, or offer a finger to suck), finally drifting off again before waking himself up after 30 minutes. In a 24-hour period, he'll sleep 3 consecutive hours, the rest of the day and night is off and on.

So our adventures today began at 1:00 a.m. with a mid-night feeding. Then he just wouldn't/couldn't go back to sleep. Shelley and I snuck in half-hour naps while the other tended to his fussing. I was up for the day at 5:30, he was frantically miserable so I resorted to bundling him up and taking for a ride in the car. As loathe as I am to emit greenhouse gases (some may argue this point) and use gas that's $1.03+ per litre, this morning I was open to anything.

We drove to Forest where I stopped for a coffee and some Timbits for the family. I took a long and winding road home; we were in the car for the better part of an hour. Kai was awake the whole time. At least he was quiet, calm and content.

Today has been more of the same: half-hour dozes with attentive doses of parent care in between. This better be a phase because I'm not sure how much longer we ... can ... keep ... up ... Zzzzz.

No comments: