Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Another Year

Is it December 6th again? And still the violence perpetuated against women, on this national day of remembrance and action, continues. I fear that things have not changed much since this day last year. If anything, the memory is fading and urgency is waning.

Long before "Nine-uh-leven" became commonspeak, December 6th has been etched into my consciousness. I'll admit the actual day Marc Lepine shot and killed 14 women at a Montreal university, I was more worried about Driver's Ed and getting my licence. Montreal seemed so far away from rural southwestern Ontario. Since then, as I've allowed my imagination to wonder about the human stories that were interrupted, going so far as to imagine myself at L'École Polytechnique that evening, I regard this time as an epiphany, a call to accountability, for equality and for justice.

In the mounting hustle and frenzy of holiday preparation, I take a moment to remember...

No comments: