Sunday, December 19, 2004

Snow Day

It snowed throughout the night. Softly falling, relentless flakes of crystalline cool smothering the ground with a white stratum of insulating precipitation.

After shovelling out a path to the unplowed road this morning, I got a phone call from Ravenswood saying that church was cancelled. I'm always bittersweet about these calls; I am thankful that I don't have to brave the driving conditions to preach to the converted. Still after spending an average of 12 hours a week on the worship service, it seems a shame to let that slip away forever.

So for Arkona, well, I live right beside the church... I figure that I'll go next door and if anyone from town is able to make it, we'll do something worshipful. If not, then it's just a short snowy jaunt back home. I don't expect a big crowd or any of the country folk; I certainly don't want people to risk life and limb to get to church.

Instead of the gym today, I'll get my workout in the driveway and on the sidewalks as I shovel. Some may say that's not so different from my workout in the pulpit: shovelling...

No comments: