Sunday, September 25, 2005

All Aboard / En voiture!

I'm going to a week-long conference in Kingston. It's been a long time since I've been on public transit. Trapped in a fully-booked train for 5+ hours with no chance for fresh air was an extreme introduction. It turned out that the train I was to connect with in Toronto was the train I was already on, so I didn't get a chance to step off and out to stretch and breathe.

All the talk about Harvey's made by the couple (he's in a band and lives with mom, she's in first-year at Queen's) I was sitting with had made me hungry. We pulled into Union Station late and it didn't look like the burger run would be made. I resigned myself to the prospect of overpaying for train food. Happily, the fourth person of our seating arrangement (a Catholic, Master's student at Queen's in neuroscience) pulls out an extra sandwich for me.

I pulled into Kingston a half-hour late to be greeted by Michelle, Ursula and Jeffy. Plans were made to see Michelle tomorrow, a tour down Princess Street to see what's changed and what has not, and settling into Jeffy and Cheryl's. A game of Settlers with Urs and Jeffy saw me use my wood and sheep ports to attain victory.

Now to bed, with some guilt about the prospect of uninterrupted sleep.

No comments: