Sunday, November 28, 2010

A New Focus

About mid-September, the timing belt of the 2000 Focus gave way and I found myself stranded on the side of the road. Inconvenient at the best of times, the matter was complicated by the fact that I was on my way to the airport to catch a flight to Sault Ste. Marie. Calling roadside assistance, I discovered the program that we'd accessed in the past no longer existed (once the operator stifled her scoff upon hearing the age and mileage on the vehicle).

There was a panicked call to Shelley who happened to be home with Kai who happened to be home sick from school, a call to our dealership to arrange for a tow truck and a call to the airline to explain the situation. Watching the minutes tick by, I also called the hotel in Sault Ste. Marie to inform my colleague that I likely wouldn't be available to meet for supper as planned.

My rescue arrived when Shelley and Kai speedily delivered me to the airport, in time for my original flight! It wasn't until my return home that we made arrangements for a replacement car (we'd figured the cost of the next major repair would be better directed towards a downpayment on another car). We discovered with all the incentives, upgrades, and enticements, a new car would only be a couple thousand dollars more than a used one.

So after 300, 636 km, we handed the keys over in exchange for another Focus (2011 with Sirius satellite radio for 6 months - hello Radio 3!) I think I'll call it Desmond as a tribute to Paul Quarrington and Maury Chaykin.

Such was the adventure of the new car, apart from the fact that I lost my passport at the airport in Toronto...

No comments: