Sunday, November 06, 2005

Middle Earth

With my morning routine greatly simplified these days, I've tried to take advantage of the time to go running. Today I found myself on a beautiful wooded trail that reminded me of the paths at Burry Heights in Newfoundland.

Ignoring the hum and noises of the adjacent Honeywell Nylene plant that filled the air with a smell of melted plastic, all other signs of modern civilization fell away. I was able to evoke a personal sense of how I imagine Middle Earth, of hobbit living, cool air, the crunch of twigs and leaves. I channelled Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli chasing after the orcs who've kidnapped Merry and Pippin. Yes, I'm a geek.

Running steadily through the trees, with purpose and ease, I felt I could go forever. It's rare when I hit my stride like that, and its memory will prompt me to keep at it. Endorphin rush, anyone?

No comments: