Saturday, June 03, 2006

Praying for Batteries

We were at a wedding today. I wasn't presiding, just attending and enjoying the worship experience. Although the fact that a marriage ceremony is a service of worship is sometimes lost on the masses. In the middle of a prayer, there was some movement and conversation beside me; a woman was being handed something from her daughter in the pew behind us. I thought maybe it was some tissue, understanding that weddings can be emotional events, although why the Lord's Prayer was particularly poignant, I couldn't say.

Turns it out wasn't Kleenex but batteries. A fresh pack of 4 AAs in a sealed package that wasn't opening. So she turns to her husband to wrangle the package while she removed the old ones from the digital camera. I didn't have the nerve to announce that I was trying to pray, could she put that damn thing away?! And if she knew that her batteries were low, why didn't she change them before the wedding?

So all the ingredients of a wedding were there: 1 Corinthians 13, Pachelbel's Canon in D, J.S. Bach's Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, a candle-lighting glitch, and annoying camera lady.

No comments: