Thursday, February 15, 2007

Once Upon a Time

A recent theme running through my life has been of Fairy Tales. Not only reading and relating them to our kids, the viewing of Disney videos (Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast), but personal exploration. I guess my recent reading of Neil Gaiman's short story "Snow, Glass, Apples" spurred my interest.

This afternoon has revisited this emergent thread as CBC's Freestyle (which for whatever reason is becoming more listenable to me) observed the darkside of fairy tales in an interview with Julie Morstad.
She spoke of working with Neko Case on her latest album, "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood", one of the albums on my aural radar (does that make it sonar?), the fox confessor being a character in Ukranian folklore.

Another fairy tale I spent time with tonight, as preacher at Presbytery's opening worship, was the thought that Paul wrote the letter to the Ephesians. The moral of the story: don't believe everything you read. Unless it's here in my blog space, of course.

No comments: