Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Double Entendre

In conversation with an American youth pastor, I shared that if I ever start a band, I’d name it “The Flaming Gaze”, spelling it out for him: G-A-Z-E. The logo would be an eye ball beaming rays of fire, akin to Peter Jackson’s representation of Sauron in The Lord of the Rings movies (although I had staked a claim to the name and logo 12 years ago, PJ ripped me off).
I excitedly carried on about my hypothetical band and my companion interrupts: “You know there’s a double entendre in that, don’t you?”

Seeing that I could have some fun with this, I furrowed my brow and pondered, “Double entendre? I’m not getting it.”

He eludicated, “You know, it could be like ‘Flaming Gays’, G-A-Y-S.”

Me: “Really? Huh. I hadn’t thought of that.”

He appeared to be quite pleased with himself. Americans, they take themselves so seriously.

No comments: