Sunday, June 03, 2007

Apostolic Succession

This afternoon, my dear friend Michelle was duly commissioned to a ministry of Education, Service and Pastoral Care, to the puzzlement of the presider. He perhaps was perplexed that someone would dedicate their vocational life in ministry with the church in offices other than Word, Sacrament and Pastoral Care.

I had the honour of being one of those to lay on hands for her, a channelling of the Holy Spirit and a long church tradition that creates a mystical link through all time and space to the first ministers of the Christian faith, the disciples of Jesus himself.

During the meet-and-greet afterwards, the comment made to her after she told someone she was on the move to London Conference was "Oh. That's more good than bad..." I suppose that would be an accurate statement but not so fetching as a slogan. For catchy taglines, I like the one that my cohorts and I came up with last weekend: "London Conference - not as anal as Toronto".

No comments: