Monday, November 12, 2007

The End of an Era

Shelley came home from work with the news that Arkona United Church is closing. Its final worship service will be the last Sunday of January 2008.

In some ways, it's not a shock. Like many rural churches there were too many jobs for too few people who were overworked. Looking back, there was an almost-palliative feel to my last months with them, but I was attributing that to my own sense of loss and closure.

I applaud the courage and foresight it took for the church to take its own fate into its hands and make a decision, rather than having things decided for it.

Dear friends of this blog who are connected to Arkona United: I wish you well. My prayers are for courage, hope, strength and the promise of resurrection. Thank you for seven wonderful years of a career launching and more importantly, of friendship, family connection, music, laughter and meat pies.

While the news is no great surprise, it's still sad for me to think of the void in the community. Who's going to feed everyone?

No comments: